Saturday, August 18, 2007

Canal St. Martin

Last night Laurent took me to a bar on the Canal St.Martin. I'm so happy to find a great space so close to where I live. The bar is an art space and restaurant, too, and it's right on the water. From the Jaures metro stop, you just follow a cobblestone downward slope toward the canal and there are people sitting outside by the water in small clusters. Inside, they were blaring music (unfortunately, leaving much to be desired - Laurent and I still danced, though).

Laurent's a lot of fun for conversation. I told him about characters in class that afternoon and he told me about the time in Thailand that he met a British journalist who left his wife and teenage son for a woman who left Cypress to attend Central St. Martin's in London because she wanted to "see how common people lived." Yes, she was THAT girl and she had been friends with Jarvis Cocker. See? He's full of stories.

Laurent agreed to come with me to Rock en Seine on Friday and we've decided that our little project is to find out how to "have fun" in Paris. With me being in school all day and him having only recently returned to the city, this recon mission will require some effort but obviously should pay off. Not knowing Paris actually makes me miss Toronto for the familiarity I feel for places and people. You feel strangely unmoored when you don't have a clue what's a decent place for a drink even.

I'm happy to report that I think my spoken French is getting better. And it's only been 2 weeks. Truth is, it will never be as pretty as I'd like it to be because it takes immersion and a loooong time. But I was fluent enough to fend off an amorous guy at the bar AND lie to him just enough so that it was a pleasant exchange and then he left me alone. I realize that strange men are only threatening when you don't feel you have any wits (read: words) about you to manipulate them into placidly walking away from you.

This morning I woke up, and opened a package of crepes I'd bought at the store the other day. Crepes in a package! I lit the stove (so old-school) and warmed a few and it was the best packaged breakfast I've ever eaten.

Now - a full weekend ahead of me with no plans? I never have this! I love it already.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

paris me manques! i love how frenchies say "geniale" all the time. I also love reading your blog with toast and tea (no crepes here) before work most days. xoxo

10:03 AM  
Blogger Hannah Says Hi said...

OMG Hanna! I was just thinking about the word "geniale" as I was coming home tonight! I also love "geniale"!

AND now that I live alone and have no friends, anytime I buy anything it's hard to eat it because I have to eat it all the time so like, it will be packaged crepes for the next weeeeek. Tu me manques!

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home