Friday, September 22, 2006

The O.G. Insane Clown Posse

It's midnight here and I'm pooped but I had to describe our evening.

First off - we're done shooting! I kind of can't believe it. There may be one or two shots we may want to grab but today was our last day in the field. I'm a little sad about this. At the same time, I am looking forward to some leisure action.

Tonight we went to see a traditional dance performance. It was a performance of Ramayana, the Hindu love story of Rama and Sinta. It was a mix of Balinese and Javanese styles. Not that I can tell much of the difference (even with the crash course I got from a new friend here) but it was a stunning performance.

My favourite group of dancers were the Scary Monster Crew. They were like an ancient, Indonesian Insane Clown Posse. They had Betsey Johnson hair, dread-capes and Alexander McQueen-tartan outfits. Next to the Javanese floaty-hand pretty dance troupe, they looked especially hilarious and like they would be fun to party with. They were obviously meant for comic relief and they were really good at their funny dance - their arms slightly rounded, away from their sides, shuffling from side to side like the ground was too hot. I think I may recreate the move the next time I get wild in a club. Jakarta, here we come.

The story of Ramayana really had it all. Romance, battle scenes, elaborate costumes, gilded wedding-cake shaped headpieces with pompoms attached, a white monkey, boulders and lots of fire. When Rama and Sinta FINALLY got together at the end, you'd think there would be an over-the-top pas de deux but they just slowly stood together in a lovey tableau and then it ended. I guess it's better that way. It's about the journey.

Speaking of journeys, now it's off to hit the hay as we have signed up for a four-hour bicycle trek in the countryside and we have to be there at 8 am. Considering how hot it is by even 10 am in the morning, I'm not exactly sure if I'll survive. You can all await my next blog entry with baited breath. In the meantime, I'll be huffing and puffing mine in the Javanese hills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home