Thursday, March 20, 2008

Day 11 in LA

This morning I woke up with the feeling of a hangover but it wasn't alcohol-related; it was a sad hangover. I did have a beer before I went to sleep, but trust me, that made me feel better much more than it made me feel worse.

An aside: I don't even drink as an activity, but it really bugs me that I can't go to a bar and get tipsy. I am way too nervous of a driver and cheap drunk (a whiff of a g and t makes me giggle) to drive after a drink and I can't let the appropriate amount of time lapse before getting behind the wheel because at that point I'm usually asleep. If I've ever needed a drink it was last night, but instead I stood at a bar stone sober and then drove myself home in my compact car to sit on the futon in the living room and have a beer by myself.

On the plus side, I ran into a friend! A friend with whom I have a longer history than 10 days! At the Born Ruffians and Cadence Weapon concert, I ran into Sean, a video director from Toronto. It was nice to see a familiar face and in particular, someone with whom I am not that close but just close enough to joke around. That way, I didn't have to go into the long, sad story (not that long or sad to anyone except myself) of being crushingly mortified in a professional situation with a hero of mine. He's in town for a week at a hotel with a pool. I hope to be in that pool tomorrow afternoon.

Another aside: Please go see Born Ruffians play live. They were really good.

Update: I spoke to Margaret Cho again today, so the story will run. However, it was only half as good an interview and I felt really sheepish. But I'm just glad it's over. Time to move on.

Just to describe how I feel right now, when I drove Isaac to the airport yesterday morning, I told him how much I enjoyed all the laughing we did while he was here. I said I felt like I wouldn't laugh again for the next six weeks. And now I regret that I said that because it feels a little prescient.

Before I came here, I said to Sophie that I hoped spending some time away would make me like living in Toronto again. She said, "You always say that!" Which is true. But being in Africa is an adventure. Same for France. Same for Korea. Croatia, Brazil. Being in LA isn't really that much of an adventure. It's just me being here without my friends and family, the stuff that makes life fun. So maybe I've done it. I've found the place to go to that will make me just want to go home again.

The one bright spot of my day: hiking Runyon Canyon with my friend James. It was really beautiful and he's great company.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home